Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fashion Adventures: Time to Go to Work

For the most part, all of my pre-pregnancy tops that are work-appropriate are officially too small now- give or take a few polos.  I've had maternity slacks in black and grey since the very beginning of the pregnancy, but I've recently had to go out and pick up a few tops that leave room for the belly.  I wanted to try and buy only "regular" clothes that would hopefully get some wear post-baby (and that would be inherently less expensive than clothing labeled "maternity") so my first instinct was to aim for shirts one or two sizes bigger than what I normally wear.  The only problem with that theory is that the only place where I've gained any noticeable weight is my belly- yes, I've gone up a bra size, but I've always been a little lacking in the chest-area, so even with this increase, my pre-pregnancy clothes would actually fit *better* now, were it not for Chief's presence- "regular" clothes that are roomy enough for the belly are too roomy everywhere else.  So if I can't wear my "regular" tops and I can't wear bigger "regular" tops, I guess I have to turn to maternity tops.


All this talk about tops and pants and here I am in a dress!  Empire-waist dresses are the one type of "regular" clothes that do still fit, even if I don't typically wear this cut.  I bought this dress at the beginning of the pregnancy but don't wear it very much- mainly because I don't often wear dresses to work.  (Also, it's my regular size, and, as usual, was a little baggy up top until just a couple of weeks ago.)  In the heat of summer, and before I had a chance to pick up some maternity tops, however, this dress has been just perfect.  These photos were taken (by Mr. Geek, not the tripod!) last Monday- 26 weeks 4 days, and the straight-on shots, unless you look closely, you can't even tell that I'm pregnant! 


Do these photos look over-processed to you?  Because of the light, my skin was practically glowing in these pictures- not a glorious pregnant glow, more a was-I-wearing-white-tights-that-day? glow.  I messed with the white balance until I didn't look quite so pale- but the other colors are really intense.  (Although the dress really is that electrically blue in real life.)

 

 

Earrings: Charlotte Russe
Necklace:  Forever21
Blazer: New York and Company
Dress: Marshall's
Watch: Kohl's (same style, different color)
Shoes: Simply Vera by Vera Wang via Kohls


How often do you wear dresses to work?  Moms- did you prefer larger "normal" clothes while pregnant, or did you spring for maternity clothes?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment