Sunday, June 1, 2014

Answer Me This: Of Slacking and Smartphones

Yeah, so, remember that one time when I told you that having a full-time job (being a mom), another full-time job (one that I get paid for), AND blogging 5 days a week is just a bit too much for my plate right now?  And I told you I'd cut it back to just 3 days a week because that would be more manageable?

And then I dropped off the face of the planet AGAIN almost immediately after telling you I wouldn't?

OOPS.  My bad.

I could make excuses, but I won't.  Basically, my dreams of turning this into a "monetized", serious, all-the-time (but not full-time) blog have been shattered recently.  But I won't let that bother me too bad.  From now on, I'll try my hardest to post 3 days a week, and I hope that those of you who are still interested in what I have to say will drop by on those 3 days and take a peek.  And if I don't show up on those days...try not to hate me for it, and I won't write long-winded apologies.  I'll just pick back up at the next available opportunity.

Like now.  With what's becoming my favorite link-up party.

http://www.catholicallyear.com/2014/05/answer-me-this-in-which-i-dont.html

1. Do you have a smart phone?

Yes, yes I do.  Mr. Geek has finally stopped mocking me about it, but I used to rant about how no one could possibly ever need a smart phone, why would you waste all your money on such a gimmick, I'd never buy one, blah blah blah... But that's probably because that ranting happened back when the iPhone was the cool kid on the block (because it was the ONLY kid on the block) and I was rightfully skeptical of all things Apple (and still am).  A few months after I started my big-kid job after college, when my parents' contract ended, I went to the Sprint store and bought the HTC Evo 4G while my parents and sisters all 'upgraded' to the next available flip phone (or Blackberry in my dad's case).  And then maybe a year ago (I think?  I can't remember any more) I traded it in for the Samsung Galaxy S4.  Mr. Geek had a first generation iPhone because his dad bought it (which I still mock him for) and then I bought him the Samsung Galaxy S2 for a birthday present and he just recently upgraded to the S5 which is a mind-blowing phone, I must say.  Neither one of us is necessarily a Google fanboy, we just hate Apple.  I really like the look of Windows Phone, but Sprint doesn't carry them.  (One day we'll probably succumb to the siren song of Verizon and its incredible coverage, but we're Sprint people because of the principle- the principle of unlimited data.)

I think it's important to note that I never owned a smart phone until I could purchase one myself and pay for the plan.  If "dumb phones" still exist when Chief is in high school, that's what we'll buy her- because I do see the utility in a teenager having a phone once she starts driving, but I don't see the point in said teenager having a $600 phone.

2. What is your favorite meal of the day?

It's funny, because I think breakfast food is my favorite genre (just go with it) of food, but I rarely ever get to eat proper breakfast food for breakfast.  During the week, my breakfast is a granola bar (or a protein bar) in the car on the drive in to work and then second breakfast is a cup of microwave oatmeal (because I'm still a breastfeeding mother and breastfeeding mothers, much like pregnant mothers, are hobbits).  But my favorite actual meal of the day is definitely dinner.  Dinner is when I get to go all-out with my fancy recipe experiments (though nowadays it's generally only on weekends) and dinner is the only meal we eat as a family.  Dinner is when Chief gets to taste new foods (banana, avocado, and egg yolk so far- the only one she doesn't like is banana).  And sometimes we eat breakfast for dinner, which is like the best of both worlds, so, yeah.

3. Shower or bath?

Shower, because it's faster.  I just don't have time to sit around and soak.  The only time I've ever preferred a bath is when I need to shave my legs, but now that I use those razors with the built-in soap instead of needing smelly pink shave cream, it's faster to do that standing up, too.  And since the master bathroom in this house only has a (tiny) shower, it's basically the only option- I'm not hanging out in the guest bathroom every night, especially if we have actual guests.

4. Think of a person you love.  How many days have you been in love with that person?

I'm writing this on Sunday (and it's posting on Sunday, so I can add it to the link-up) but it's technically Monday's post, so as of Monday 2 June 2014, I've been in love with Mr. Geek for 2199 days.  (Sunday 25 May 2008 was when I first told him I loved him...I think.  It's kind of fuzzy.)  I'm not one to remember things like the exact day we "became official" or whatever, but Memorial Day weekend 2008 was when I realized I was in love with him, and I'm pretty sure I vocalized it that Sunday.

5. What's the best church you've ever been inside?

*personal photo*
 I've been to Mass in the Vatican so...yeah, that wins.  Hands down.

6. Has anyone ever come to help you?

All the time!  My parents are about the most loving, helpful people I know.  They came to visit last summer, just after we signed the lease on this house, to help us finish unpacking our stuff and get everything all pretty.  My mom came back in October to throw the baby shower and buy all the last-minute things we needed before Chief arrived.  Then she came again the week before Chief got here to stay for an entire month, helping with last-minute baby prep, labor and delivery, and Chief's first month in our little house.  Then she came to visit again in January, just before I went back to work, to give Mr. Geek and I some date nights, help us practice leaving Chief with someone, and help me get ready to go back to work.  Of course, Mr. Geek's parents have been immensely helpful, too- his mom stayed with us the whole month of November as well, and she came to visit a few months ago and helped us clean this house that is too often neglected.  And his dad constantly showers us with gifts and has also come to visit to help with Chief.  Basically, when you have a baby, everybody wants to show you how much they love you.

Head over to Catholic All Year and share your answers to these questions!!

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment