Friday, November 10, 2017

Five

Photo by One Photo Gallery
Wood is the traditional gift for the fifth wedding anniversary; silverware is the modern gift.

Bringing your kids along on a second honeymoon is the Geek fifth anniversary gift.

on our honeymoon, five years ago
I've been thinking a lot about the phrase "made for each other" lately.  It's always been easy to see how we complement each other- his goofiness alleviates my seriousness, my fashion sense compensates for his inability to coordinate colors, my love of cooking pairs perfectly with his love of eating- but ever sense our little boy arrived, I've been reflecting on how we're not just compatible, we're perfect for each other.  Specifically, he's perfect for me.

We're both walking in a sleep-deprived haze lately, and I thought maybe I'm just not coping as well as he is, but I realized the other day that he's just powering through, putting on a happy face, and purposefully choosing patience- patience with the kids, patience with life's little annoyances, and patience with me.  Something will happen which will annoy the heck out of me, and I'll start chewing over a fight that I'm sure will happen, when he totally surprises me with a joke or a sweet gesture.  He can completely disarm me, and I'll swallow the witty argument I was about to make, saving us from what would have otherwise been an unpleasant evening. 

That sleep deprivation is making it difficult to be particularly eloquent right now.  I can't properly describe how he is exactly what I need, so you'll just have to trust me. 

These have been the best five years of my life; the next five are shaping up to be even more exciting.

Let's go have a Mickey ice cream bar!

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment