Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Culinary Adventures: Shrimp in a Tomato Cream Sauce

Every good Catholic knows you're supposed to abstain from meat on Friday's during Lent- but did you know you're supposed to go meatless every Friday?  When it's not Lent, you can choose another 1-day sacrifice instead of abstaining from meat, but during Lent there's definitely no meat on Fridays.  I guess over the years people preferred "you can eat meat now" and forgot "if you give something else up."

Here's what we ate this past Friday.  Chief and I went grocery shopping when I picked her up from daycare and I grabbed a nice big bag of shrimp, though I didn't have a specific recipe in mind.  I knew I wanted pasta and some sort of creamy sauce, so I grabbed a few things that I figured I might need and headed home.  I found the below recipe on a quick perusal of Food Network's website, but I didn't have any clam juice (which is what the original recipe calls for).  I did, however, have a lemon.  Now, I realize the white wine is providing the acid here, so lemon juice could be overkill, but I added it anyway and you know what?  It was delicious.  Give it a try!

*personal photo*
Shrimp in a tomato cream sauce
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis

-1lb penne pasta
-olive oil
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-salt and pepper to taste
-1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
-1 Tbsp dried parsley
-1 Tbsp dried basil
-1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-1 C white wine
-juice of 1 lemon
-3/4 C heavy whipping cream
-1/2 C freshly grated Romano cheese

-Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling, salted water until al dente.  Drain and set aside.

-In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the shrimp (seasoned with salt and pepper) and garlic in the olive oil.  Stir frequently until the shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes.  (They're ready when they're pink all over.)  Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon.

-Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil, and red pepper flakes.  Cook for 2 minutes, continuously stirring.  Add the wine, lemon juice, and heavy cream, and bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 7 to 8 minutes until the sauce thickens.  Stir in about half the grated cheese.

-Toss the pasta and shrimp in the sauce.  Garnish with the rest of the cheese.

Do you prefer seafood on your meatless Fridays or do you go vegetarian?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment