Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Breaking Up With Kate

Last year on my birthday, Mr Geek got me a watch, which he let me pick out.  I asked you to help me decide between a metal Betsey Johnson watch and a leather-and-vinyl Kate Spade watch.  Y'all picked the Kate, so I went for it.

Within a month, the vinyl design on the leather band started to peel.

it's supposed to be black with tan polka dots
I decided that the next time I bought a watch, I'd avoid a leather band and just stick with all metal.

This year, for Mother's Day, Mr Geek surprised me with a new watch- another Kate Spade, this time a tortoiseshell and gold band.  We had to take it to a jewelry store to get a link removed so it would stay on my narrow little wrists, but that's pretty normal for me.

And then, as if on cue, after a month, it started to fall apart.  It's a little difficult to see in the below photo, but one of the pieces that attaches the watch face to the band pops up from time to time.  I can always pop it back, and it will stay put for a while, but inevitably it will pop back off again and expose a rather sharp edge.

The metal bit on top of the watch face keeps coming undone
I'm not particularly rough on my jewelry.  I work a normal desk job, I don't get my hands dirty on a regular basis.  Whenever I do need to work on my car or do the dishes or give Chief a bath, I take off my jewelry.  More importantly, I've owned much cheaper watches from non-"luxury" brands that lasted years without falling apart.

Clearly, with these watches, we weren't paying for quality, we were just paying for the name.

I don't think I'll be paying for this name ever again on any other clothing or accessories.


Has a favorite brand ever disappointed you?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment