Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I'm Sensing a Theme, Here Part 2

Previously, on Our Geeky Adventure:

-I went to college at 13
-I'm Hermione Granger, and you are...?
-Mr. Geek and I embarked on a quest creative writing-esque brainstorming exercise that would eventually lead us to a theme for our wedding!

So what did we end up doing with all those lists we made of adjectives and people and colors that remind us of each other?

Well, when it was all said and done, Mr. Geek and I exchanged papers to grade them circle the words (or at least concepts) that we'd both written down.  Next, we FINALLY put our wedding goggles on and worked together to decide what, amongst all the things we'd written about each other and ourselves as a couple, we wanted to be represented in our wedding- which, at its core, is a celebration of our love.

We narrowed these elements down to geekery/nerdyness, books/stories/fantasy, romance, food, and adventure.

After that bit was done, it was time to settle on a succinct theme.

"If our wedding were a book," I asked Mr. Geek, "what would the title of that book be?"

Using the elements listed above, we brainstormed "book titles."

"A Good Old-Fashioned Love Story" -- "Two Sappy Dorks" -- "Two Dorks, One Wedding" -- "Untitled" -- "There and Back Again" --

 [That third one was never really an option.  Mr. Geek said it out loud and as I started writing it down he said, "No!  Don't write that!"  I thought it was funny!]

We kind of have a thing for books.  [photo courtesy Emile Frey]


I have a confession to make: even though the point of this exercise was to work together to arrive at a theme, with no preconceived notions about what a wedding should look like or what either of us wanted regardless of the other's opinion...I already knew what I wanted the theme to be.  "A Good Old-Fashioned Love Story" had been in my mind for a while now, several months before the engagement ring made its appearance.  I tried to sell Mr. Geek on it, but he wasn't having it.  "There and Back Again" was closer to what he deemed to be a perfect wedding theme because it's the subtitle of The Hobbit (and therefore geeky) and it calls to mind a sense of adventure- our favorite thing to daydream about, apart from raising a household of Baby Geeks one day, is traveling the world together.  Obviously, "There and Back Again" makes a wonderful book title- because it is a book title.  That, coupled with the fact that I didn't want the theme of this wedding limited to just one of our many fandoms, led me to suggest we keep brainstorming.  At this point, we'd narrowed our list of elements down to two distinct ideas: we our geeks, and our relationship thus far has been and, we hope, will continue to be an adventure.

Adventurously Geeky -- Adventurous Geeks -- Adventurous Dorks

"How about 'A Geeky Adventure'?" I asked.

He thought about it for a moment.

"Yeah, that could work."

I wrote it at the top of the first page of that notebook that was too pretty not to buy.  Beneath it, I wrote the date we'd chosen and the name of my family's parish.

That sealed the deal.  'A Geeky Adventure' sounded exactly what we wanted our wedding to look like, and would certainly be the title of a hypothetical book written about our relationship.  I declared that that first page would be reserved for permanent things- things about our wedding that were solid and would not change because the decisions had been made.

This theme quickly became our wedding "brand"- the title of our website and then this blog- although since then it has morphed into "*Our* Geeky Adventure" which somehow sounds more like a wedding.

See, we're geeks!!  {photo courtesy Emile Frey}


Did/does your wedding have a theme?  Did you use a less-than-conventional method to choose it?

Much Love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment