Sunday, April 20, 2014

Answer Me This: He is Risen. He is Risen indeed.

Hey folks!  I've found another link-up to join over at the wonderful Catholic All Year.  Each week, she posts some random questions and gets people to link up their answers!  This should be fun :)

http://www.catholicallyear.com/2014/04/answer-me-this-he-is-risen-he-is-risen.html

1. What did you and your family wear to Mass on Easter Sunday?

I am apparently incapable of capturing a good family photo, but here's the best one of yesterday's photo shoot:

*personal photo*
Saturday I took Chief to Reston Town Center, armed with a hefty Anthropologie gift card, in the hopes of snagging a super-last-minute Easter dress for me.  And then I remembered- I can't wear dresses right now.  There are very few nursing-friendly silhouettes out there- fewer still that are flattering to my short, chubby post-partum body- so I had to go the skirt-and-top route.  It's a cute outfit, but I just couldn't help but feel like I was late for a meeting or something all day, or that I was about to go give a briefing.

2. Easter Bunny: thumbs up or thumbs down?

Thumbs up.  I know it's popular right now for Christian parents to take all the fun out of childhood, but I figure it's nice to have a scapegoat for when you want to buy your kids presents that are either expensive or exactly what they've been asking for (or otherwise things they don't strictly *need*).  By the time they're old enough to figure out that these magical gift-bearing beings are not real, they're not spoiled and don't expect Mommy and Daddy to buy the super awesome toy that they just have to have right now.  We're not going to teach Chief and her future siblings that the point of Easter is to wake up and find baskets full of candy and toys, but we are going to teach them that Easter is a celebration.  And Mommy celebrates with Reese's eggs.

3. Do you prefer to celebrate holidays at your own house or at someone else's house?

Since Chief arrived, we've celebrated every holiday here in our little home.  (That's because we haven't traveled at all since she got here, period.)  Everyone converged on our house for Thanksgiving (and we went to Ruby Tuesday, which was weird, but at least there were no dirty dishes!), and we spent Christmas and Easter here by ourselves, just the three of us.  Since we're still figuring out how to be a family, it's been really nice to come up with our own traditions all by ourselves without the need to play host and have a clean house and cook a fancy meal.  It was really weird spending Christmas without my parents, though, for the first time ever.

4. What is your favorite kind of candy?

Reese's eggs.  'Nuff said.

5. Do you like video games?

I like video games...but I'm not very good at them.  Growing up, we never had a game system because- I kid you not- my parents said that they were afraid they would spend all their time playing it.  What?  Apparently, when they were dating, they would often commandeer my uncle's Nintendo for hours on end.  We had Game Boys eventually, but I never found the cramped fingers and the tiny screen that much fun.  So by the time I started dating Mr. Geek in college and he wanted to teach me to play Halo, I had no video game skills to speak of; I made it through an entire match with 0 kills.  We have a Wii (not a Wii U because that's stupid) and an XBOX 360 (with a dead optical drive, so it's basically our Netflix Machine) with Kinect currently in our house.  Mr. Geek is what you might call a serious gamer; since the optical drive died on the XBOX, he's been stuck with XBOX Live games (he downloads each month's free game).  He's always up for a round of Super Mario Bros, however, and after playing through the whole game several times, I'm finally pretty good at it!

6. Do you speak another language?

I got a 3 on the French AP exam senior year of high school.  (Out of 5.  A "passing" score is a 3, 4 or 5- that is, most colleges will offer you credit for those scores.  Virginia Tech's College of Engineering just wanted you to take 3 years of a foreign language in high school in order to place out of language, so I didn't need the credit anyway.)  If I get bored at work, I pull up French news sites to see how much I can read.  (I'm talking really, really bored.)  Does that count?

Go answer these questions on your blog and add yourself to the link up!

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment