Friday, April 4, 2014

Faithful Fridays: Love

We say the words I love you an awful lot in this house- I think maybe Chief has heard them more often than her own name since the day she was born.  And Mr. Geek and I are really good about saying it to each other all the time- every phone conversation ends like this:

"I love you!"

"I love you, too."

"I love you so much!"

"I love you so much."

It's like a script we have memorized- the words just come naturally.  I call him every morning when I get into work to tell him to have a good day, and I'm sure my coworkers probably gag at the sap, but whatever, it's our thing.

On top of telling her every moment, it's easy to show Chief that we love her.  We feed her, dress her, play with her, keep her clean, keep her healthy, keep her comfortable.  (In short, we're her parents.)  And though she can't tell us, she shows us that she loves us, too.

When I pick her up from daycare, she greets me with the biggest smile.  When Mr. Geek is holding her and she starts to get sleepy, she buries her face in his chest, nuzzling in close.  When I put her up on my shoulder to burp her after she eats, she wraps her arm around me and gives me a hug. 

She tells us that she loves us by rewarding even the slightest glance with a wide, toothless grin and a twinkle of genuine joy in her bright eyes.

4 month photo shoot // *personal photo*
It's all well and good to tell someone you love them, but the important thing is to show them.  As I constantly strive to be a good wife, I need to remember that sometimes the best way to express my love for my husband is to tell him how happy he makes me.  I'm blessed to be married to such a romantic man.  He brings home "just because" flowers all the time; he volunteers to entertain Chief so I can take a nice long shower; he'll put my feet in his lap and massage them, unbidden, after I've had a hard day.  Me, I'm more of a words person- I'm good at telling him how I feel, but maybe I'm less good at the actions.  It's like my creative writing teacher always said- show, don't tell.  (Well, okay, telling is necessary, too, but it doesn't mean anything unless you show.)

What have you learned from your infant lately?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment