Monday, June 11, 2012

Is it Charm, is it Poise? No- it's Hairspray!

Previously, on Our Geeky Adventure:

-My hair is always long
-Except when it's not
-And sometimes I make funny faces



So, last time I said I definitely wanted long hair for the wedding day- and I lamented the fact that my hair doesn't quite seem long enough- but just what do I want to do with it?

I kind of have a thing for the 1940's.  Mr. Geek and I often wish that we'd been born in 1917 and 1918 instead of 1987 and 1988, so we'd be living through the 1940's at this age.

And then we play with our smartphones.

Even so, I've really got a thing for vintage fashions and hairstyles- especially those from the 40's.  Unfortunately, I'm kind of rubbish at re-creating these styles.

Experimenting with faux bangs before a Senior Design presentation.  Spent more time on my hair than I did prepping for the presentation.  Got an A.  // {personal photo}
So perhaps some victory rolls for my wedding look?

Jessica Sherr // Photo by David Chen // image via Racked
Photo of / by Lindsay Lane // image via Vintage Rose
Only problem is, I have never been able to make my hair roll like that, and I've tried millions of times.  Hair stylists that specialize in vintage styles are also few and far between, and I somehow doubt I'll be able to find one in Middle-of-Nowhere-ville, Alabama.

Besides, how would I wear my fingertip-length veil?

So then, I heard about this phenomenon called the sock bun.

Hey look!  A celebrity!  This must be a trend! // image via Lifestyled
I tried this out recently, but with my aforementioned thin stringy hair it just...doesn't work.  Couldn't cover the sock.  Epic fail :(

About this time in my search for hairstyles, I'd kind of assumed I'd just loosely curl my hair, pin it back from my face, and call it a day.

And then the greatest film adaptation of a book EVER was released in theaters- The Hunger Games.

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen // image via Eleusinian Mysteries
 And suddenly the world of fashion and beauty became obsessed with BRAIDS.

Sure, I tried the whole over-the-shoulder braid thing for my Katniss costume for the premiere- though not nearly as complicated as the one on Miss Everdeen in the film, as my hair wasn't long enough.

I'm Katniss, he's Cinna- complete with gold eyeliner not visible in this picture // {personal photo}
...buuuuut it, too, was kind of a fail.

Still, I really, really liked the braided hairstyles popping up on beauty blogs around the net, particularly the halo braid:

hairstyle by HairstylesDesign.com // image via Wedding Chicks
Mom Geek said she could make me an appointment with her hair stylist in Alex City during our Week of Wedding Work and see if she could make this work.  My previous frustration getting my hair to do ANYTHING, however, made me very, very skeptical.

Still, it couldn't hurt to try.  Worst case, I end up doing something simple for myself on The Big Day if she couldn't make this work.

So...was the hair trial a success or a fail?  You'll have to tune in next time to find out!

What kind of hairstyle are you wearing for your wedding day?  Have you tried the sock bun?  Can you make victory rolls stay?  Are you obsessed with braided hairstyles like everybody else?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment