Monday, October 6, 2014

Culinary Adventures: Pizza Pasta

I've got a recipe for you today that is so simple it's not even funny.  (Wait would it be funny if it were hard?)  I don't know about you, but pasta is sort of my go-to standby dinner for when I need something quick, easy, and tasty (which is every night).  I'm sure my darling husband is getting sick of the same old meat sauce- though, being the darling husband that he is, he'd never admit such feelings- so I'm constantly on the look-out for ways to switch up the old standby that still fall within the "quick, easy, and tasty) category.  Italian sausage was on sale during my grocery trip, so I snagged some with the intention of making pizza...but then I forgot to grab some dough.

And so we have Pizza Pasta- all the flavors of pizza in a pasta dish!

*personal photo*
 Pizza Pasta

-1 lb penne pasta (but this would honestly work with any pasta)
-olive oil
-1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (if you're feeling spicy, you could go with a hot sausage instead)
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 16oz can diced tomatoes
-1 Tbsp dried basil
-1 Tbsp dried parsley

-Cook the pasta according to package directions.

-Meanwhile, add some olive oil to a pan and brown the sausage over medium heat.  Crumble it with a wooden spoon as you cook it (remember to remove it from the casing first!)

-Once the sausage is cooked through, add the garlic and saute until fragrant.

-Add the diced tomatoes and the herbs and lower the heat.  Cook, covered, until the pasta is done.  Drain the pasta and toss in the sauce.  Serve topped with shredded cheese (mozzarella to be authentic, but we only had cheddar and it was just as tasty).

What's your standby dinner?  How do you switch it up to keep things interesting?

Much love,
The Geeks
 

No comments:

Post a Comment