Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Friends with Benefits

I have this friend that I've known since, oh, about the fourth grade, who's always been there for me.  School projects, Girl Scout stuff, even Christmas decorations- I've been able to rely on this friend for almost anything.

Even when I went away to college, and then moved up to the DC area, I've been able to visit this friend fairly often.  Sometimes these visits aren't particularly productive; sometimes it's just to say hi.  But it's nice to know he's always there for me.

I'm talking, of course, about my friend Michaels.

(via)
Why are you looking at me like that?  Who did you think I was talking about?

You see, since I've always been able to rely on dear ol' Michaels for craft-related emergencies, I knew I'd be able to rely on him for wedding planning.

Armed with a buy-one-get-one-50% off, Mr. Geek and I decided to pop in for a visit with Michaels just after Christmas to take advantage of the sales.  We didn't have a particular goal in mind; I'd assumed this would be one of my just-stopping-in-to-say-hello visits, and the coupon was mainly a just-in-case measure.  We did, however, have some inspiration to guide our browsing.

You'll recall from a previous post that the theme Mr. Geek and I settled on for our wedding is Our Geeky Adventure.  This means our decor elements need to fall into one of two categories: geeky things and adventure/travel things.  Books translate the geeky theme rather well, and I liked the look of having the ring bearer carry a book or a stack of books instead of a pillow.

via United with Love // photo by Mary Kate McKenna Photography
via Weddingbee // photo by Hanssie Trainor Photography
Once I showed pictures like these to Mr. Geek, he liked the idea, too.  We had both figured we would use a Harry Potter book with a ribbon tied around it, because we weren't too keen on cutting one apart to place the rings inside.

And then my friend Michaels came through for me, like he always does.  He had an entire shelf of hollow cardboard decorative containers, some shaped like books, some shaped like suitcases, some shaped like treasure chests.  They were covered in different patterns and colors and came in several different sizes.  Best of all, they were all on sale!

I won't hold you in suspense any longer.  We snagged this little guy for our ring bearer to carry:


This book is tiny- the perfect size for Mr. Geek's little nephew to carry in his hands.  And it's covered in maps- matching our "adventure" theme perfectly, though subtly.

Mer Pacifiq means Pacific Ocean in French
Here's the inside.  My ring decided to model for me to show you this little book's utility.
Later, I'm going to hot glue some ribbon inside the hollow space so the rings can be tied on.  We've gone back and forth about whether or not our little ring bearer will actually be carrying our rings down the aisle- there is the distinct possibility that, in his excitement, he'll decide to show us how far he can throw this little book.  Regardless, pictures will be taken with the rings inside to pretend it was done that way.  Of course you lovely readers will be the first to see the finished product!

To bring in more of the adventure part of Our Geeky Adventure, I thought it would be a good idea to use a suitcase (preferably vintage!  You know, so we'll be featured on hip blogs!) as a card box.

via Intimate Weddings  // photo by Steep Street
photo by achandler on Weddingbee
via Ruffled // photo by Jonas Peterson
Mr. Geek told me not to tell you this, but I'm going to anyway- he didn't even know what a card box was, or why we would need one at our wedding, until I showed him some of these pictures.  Once I did, though, he liked the suitcase idea, too.

Well, wouldn't you know it, Michaels followed through once again.  On the same shelf as our little book, in the same pattern even, we found a (cardboard) suitcase!

With buckles and everything!
It's covered in the exact same map motif, and it's nice and sturdy even though it's only cardboard.

Later, I'll make some sort of sign that says "cards"- either in a frame sitting next to the open suitcase, or individual letters hanging from twine inside, like in the inspiration photos above.  I'll be sure to keep y'all in the loop when it's finished!

What is your ring bearer carrying down the aisle?  Do you trust him to carry your rings?  What are you using for a card box?  Did your groom know what a card box is?

Much love,
The Geeks

*all photos personal unless otherwise stated

2 comments:

  1. Our ring bearer was Mr. Brian Cash, and yes, he did carry the rings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. d'aw...how old was he at the time? I'm sure our ring bearer will be able to do it, but I also know that little boys can be quite...rambunctious. Guess that's what rehearsals are for!

      Delete