Monday, October 5, 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I'm not gonna lie- Hallowe'en is my favorite holiday.  I have always loved dressing up in elaborate costumes and putting on a show- hence my love of ballet recitals starting at age 3 and that time I wrote and staged a musical for the neighborhood kids to star in (too bad said neighborhood kids were too lazy to rehearse or perform it with me).  Also, walking around and demanding candy which people are obligated to give you?  Count me in!

When we first found out we were pregnant with Little Chief, one of the things I looked forward to the most was family Hallowe'en costumes.  Last year was our first experience creating and assembling a family costume, and we didn't even do proper trick-or-treating.  This year, we get two opportunities to dress up as a family- we're heading to the Maryland Renaissance Festival next weekend and going in costume, in addition to really-for-real trick-or-treating on Hallowe'en!

I won't spoil the surprise for our Renn Faire costumes, but I will say that they're not quite historical- though that's not to say we won't fit in.  Stay tuned for pictures and a tutorial or two!

I've finished those costumes, so now it's time to start building the Hallowe'en costumes!  Needless to say, things are pretty busy around here lately, hence the lack of posting.  (Also Mr. Geek got me Disney Infinity 3.0, but I'm sure the lack of blog posts has little to do with that fact.)

To tide you over, if you're looking for ideas for your own little family costumes, check out last year's set:

*personal photo*
We were Han, Leia, and our little ewok friend, fighting together to bring down the Empire.

What are you going to be for Hallowe'en this year?

Much love,
The Geeks

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to see what y'all pull together for the Renn Faire-I'm sure your costumes will be awesome! Ooh, I love your Han/Leia/Ewok costumes! Those are super cute. What a great idea! I love costumes, and even though I usually don't have a "reason" to wear a costume around Halloween (I don't really trick-or-treat, and I don't have kids, so no excuse to crash kid events haha), I sometimes throw something together last minute. I like gory saint costumes, and in recent years did a last-minute St. Cecilia with a bleeding neck (it didn't look that super, but if I had more time, I bet it could look really cool and creepy). Someday, if I have a baby, I would love to turn the baby carrier into an oversized thurible, because I feel like that would just be really, really cool if done right :)

    ReplyDelete