Monday, November 3, 2014

Culinary Adventures: Roasted Acorn Squash Soup

Brr it's cold!  Did you get snow on Halloween where you are?  We didn't, thankfully, but it was still awfully chilly!  I really hate cold weather...but I really love all the trappings of fall- football season, cardigans and tights, pumpkin everything, and warm, delicious soup!

I picked up 4 acorn squash a few weeks ago for a recipe that I saw on Food Network's The Kitchen, but it turned out I only needed 2, so I decided to use the other 2 for a soup!  This is especially delicious when served with an ooey gooey grilled cheese sandwich on thick-sliced crusty bread.

*personal photo*
Roasted Acorn Squash Soup

-2 acorn squash
-olive oil
-salt
-pepper
-1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
-1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
-1 C low-sodium chicken stock
-2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp ginger
-1/2 tsp dried sage

-Preheat the oven to 400F.  Cut each squash in half and scoop out the seeds- save them and toast them up later as a garnish for the soup!  Place the squash halves in a baking dish, flesh side up, and drizzle each with olive oil.  Generously season with salt and pepper.  Roast about 40 minutes, then allow to cool enough so you can handle them.

-Scoop the roasted flesh into the bowl of a food processor.  Add in the chunks of carrot and garlic.  Puree until smooth, drizzling in chicken stock as you go until you get the desired consistency.  (You may find that you want more stock to really thin it out, or less, if you squash were tiny to begin with.)  Depending on the size of your food processor's bowl, you might have to start pulsing before you add in all of your ingredients.

-Pour into a large soup pot and add the seasoning.  (For a little kick, add a pinch of red pepper flake or a dash of chili powder- or both!)  Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.  Serve warm, topped with toasted seeds.

Once you add the puree to the pot, you can use an immersion blender to try and pulverize the mixture some more, but I left mine at a thicker texture.  When I asked Mr. Geek what he thought, he put on his best Chopped-judge voice and said, "Your flavors are great, but I have a problem with you calling this a soup, when it's clearly a puree."

Fair enough.

What do you like to eat when the temperatures drop?

Much love,
The Geeks

4 comments:

  1. I've been on a soup kick lately too. We've had tomato soup, tortilla soup … no squash soup yet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My taco soup will likely be entering the rotation again soon... It's just so easy to throw everything in a crock pot in the morning and have dinner at the end of the day!

      Delete
  2. I've been on a comfort food kick. The temps just dropped in Southern California, so we had chicken pot pie last night, and we're having chicken noodle soup tonight. I also have tomato soup and grilled cheese on the docket, but I want to use up the ingredients I've got first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a good tomato soup. And my new favorite way to eat grilled cheese is with a nice thick slice of crispy bacon amidst all that melty cheese!

      Delete