Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fashion Adventures: Suit Up!

*yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

I'm pretty much in a constant state of tired nowadays.  I can get a solid 8 hours of sleep, wake up before my alarm without feeling sleepy anymore, but my body just does not want to move.  I could lie in bed all day and I think I still might not feel rested enough.  Mr. Geek has suggested I start sipping on some Earl Grey in the mornings, but I don't think caffeine will help when it's my body that feels so exhausted.  Case in point- yesterday morning at work, I had to spend about an hour walking around the office and talking to different people to set up a project- an hour of walking, standing, and just...not sitting.  No big deal, right?  Except when I finally got back to my desk, I practically fell into my chair.  I felt like I'd just run a marathon.*  Phew.  Thank heavens for my Nalgene bottle (remember Nalgene bottles?) full of ice cold water.


A couple weeks into my second trimester, when the morning sickness finally stopped, I found myself feeling weak and dizzy every now and then.  The doctor tested me for anemia and apparently that's not the problem, so he prescribed resting when I need rest and plenty of water.  Even still, Mr. Geek and I found some prenatal vitamins with added extra iron, so I started taking them for a while.  I know traditionally, most prenatal vitamins do have high levels of iron, which can add to the morning sickness, but we had actually found some chewable, gummy prenatals that don't have particularly high levels of iron (because they could be appealing to unsuspecting children and that extra iron would harm their tummies).  The problem with the extra-iron vitamins is that they're HUGE horse pills that practically make me gag just taking them!  Once I got the dizzy feeling under control, I switched back to the much-easier-to-take gummy vitamins and have been using them ever sense.  Mr. Geek wants me to switch back again to combat this exhaustion, and as much as I don't want to, I think I will.


I don't think I look particularly tired in these pictures (except for the slight under-eye baggage...) which were taken on Monday- 27 weeks 4 days for those playing along at home.  The discerning eye will notice that this isn't actually a suit- the slacks are from Motherhood Maternity and the jacket is from a suit I got at The Limited waaaaaay back when I graduated high school.  In real life, the color difference isn't quite so stark- or maybe it is, but I don't notice because I can't see past my belly when I look down... Still, I get compliments on this "sharp suit" when I wear it, and I don't think any of my other maternity clothing has garnered such reactions from coworkers.

But I'm not crazy- it's August and I'm huge, so I was not going to be wearing any sleeves under that jacket!  This top still feels too baggy, but it's definitely comfortable, and the belly isn't done growing yet so I know I can wear this throughout the fall without any buttons popping off.


Blazer: The Limited
Top: Motherhood Maternity
Necklace: Francesca's Collections
Watch: Kohl's (same style, different color)
Slacks: Motherhood Maternity
Shoes: Simply Vera, Vera Wang via Kohl's

Moms- how did you prevent exhaustion during pregnancy?  Or is it something I'll just have to deal with- sit down when I'm tired, that kind of thing?

Much love,
The Geeks

*Okay so I've never actually run a marathon and therefore can't reasonably claim to know what that feels like, and I expect I never will.  Point is I was tired, y'all.
**All photos personal**

No comments:

Post a Comment