Monday, April 29, 2013

Books: April 2013

So, once again- you guessed it!- I only made it through 1 book this month because, once again, it's Tolkien :)  But boy was it good!

image via Amazon

I enjoyed Two Towers much more than Fellowship because a lot more plot actually happens in this book.  Fellowship is almost entirely set-up, giving us lots of background on hobbits and their customs, the layout of Middle Earth, the story of the Rings, elves and orcs and wizards and all the other characters we meet along the way.  The need to pause and explain things is what turned me off to the entire series back in middle school, but I'm glad I pushed through this time, because I was rewarded with real action and adventure in this second book! 

I mean seriously- the book starts with a fight!  A death!  A kidnapping!  And yes, it is a little monotonous at times listening to Gimli and Legolas and Aragorn debate the finer points of tracking the poor kidnapped hobbits, or the Ents telling long, rambling stories like senile old men, but there's enough going on in this book to make the pace work.  The first half of the book deals with two intertwined storylines, so you forgive them for stopping for long conversations, and the second half of the book finally catches up to Frodo and Sam (and Gollum)- and it's definitely my favorite half.

I'm torn over who earns the title of Favorite Character- Sam, for his loyalty, bravery, and all-around underrated heroism, or Gollum/Smeagol for being one of the most interesting characters I've ever read.  I don't always like the little devil- I'm pretty much with Sam the whole time and strongly distrust him- but damn if he isn't fascinating!  I think a lot is owed to Andy Serkis for this- although Mr. Geek read the books before the movies came out and therefore has always heard his own personal Gollum-voice in his head, the Andy Serkis version has always been my reference for the way this creature acts and speaks.  Like I said, I don't always trust his motives, but, like Frodo, I can't help but feel pity for the poor wretch, or that maybe it's not entirely his fault that he became what he is.  There are moments when I even want to cuddle the little guy- like when Frodo tricks him into being captured by Faramir's men and he's told that the penalty for stealing fish from their pond is death.  He immediately drops the fish from his hand and says, "Don't want fish."  He's just hungry, guys!  Leave him alone!

Anyway.

I'm eager to finish the trilogy soon, but first I'm going to take a break and tackle something a bit easier for May.

What book (or books) did you read this month? 

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment