Wednesday, June 19, 2013

SYTYCD Season 10 Expectations


Did you watch the Top 20 Exhibition Show last night?  I did- and since I'm a loser, I took some notes.

Not very many though.  I was mainly just glued to the screen, yelling at Cat to shut up so they could get on with the dancing.  But here's what I came up with:

First of all, I understand the logic behind these "meet the top 20" episodes, because it gives them a chance to perform group choreography in their own style with (little-to-) no pressure because no one is voting based on these routines.  It's a warm-up for the dancers, and it lets the audience compare them to their immediate competitors- those in their own style.

But I don't know if it's just harder for these choreographers to come up with group routines, or if they don't know the dancers well enough to create for them yet, but I'm always a bit underwhelmed by the performances in these episodes.  And yet the judges rave about the dancers and how they're the best that have ever been on the show and the bar has been raised and on and on...with the exception of Adam Shankman last night- he kept it real and offered actual critiques when necessary because from the moment they hit that stage, the competition has begun, voting or no.

Ironically, I think the best routine of the evening was the one with the animators, who I suspect will be among the first to leave the show because they will have a hard time picking up choreography in other styles.  And yet the choreography of that routine- where they looked like mannequins come to life- was the most exciting and the best executed of the evening.  (I think the credit really goes to Christopher Scott for that one- he's also responsible for the most amazing bits of the League of Extraordinary Dancers.)

An honorable mention (for choreography, anyway) goes to Mia's contemporary routine because SHE IS AMAZING YOU GUYS.  Need I say more?

This year, I really want to see a tap dancer win.  Maybe it's because there are no ballet dancers this season, but I'm really pulling for the tap dancers- especially Curtis, who is adorable.  (Maybe I feel this way because of his emotional epiphany during Vegas week- "I've never danced like this before!")

Finally, based on the all-girl and all-boy routines at the end of the show, I think the boys, once again, look more formidable than the girls.  This may be due to the fact that I kind of didn't like the girls' routine, and the boys' routine (with the sand...that was genius) was, once again, Christopher Scott.  Still, whatever the reason, I liked the boys better.  (That's kind of a theme with me.  Maybe I'm just always harder on the female dancers?)

So- did you watch last night's Top 20 Reveal?  What did you think?  Any early stand-out favorites for you?  Any choices you disagree with?  Anybody else have a girlcrush on Mia?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment