Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fashion Adventures: Not Quite Long Sleeves

It's actually starting to feel like fall around here now that we're midway through September- there was actually a chill in the air when I left for work this morning!  The temperatures still reach the mid-to-upper 70s by midday, however, so any sweaters needed in the morning are no longer necessary by lunchtime.  (Mr. Geek finds this comforting; I'm ready for the days when it consistently feels like one season all day long.)


These pictures were taken Monday, at 32 weeks and 4 days.  Mr. Geek had the day off, and I went ahead and took the day off, too, so we could do baby things all day long.  Our major errand was to head to the hospital and take our tour of the maternity wing.  I'm not really a fan of hospitals (or doctors or nurses or...medicine in general) and I'd been feeling a general sense of anxiety that having a natural birth would mean combating not only my own body to make it do what it's supposed to do, but also the hospital staff, to prevent them from maliciously trying to sabotage the birth.  Now that we've toured the hospital, I know the latter will definitely not be the case.  (It was a little silly of me to ever think that it would, to be honest.)  Mr. Geek and I are both well at ease now that we've seen exactly what our labor and delivery room looks like and heard the attitudes of the nursing staff towards natural birth- supportive, to say the very least.

Assuming Miss Chief makes her appearance on a weekday during normal business hours, we drive right up to the front, drop off our car with the (free!) valet, go straight to the maternity ward, and check in at the desk.  Depending on how much we freak out and how early we get there, we'll either be sent to a triage room (to decide if maybe we can go back home for a little longer...) or straight on to our own private labor and delivery room.  The room itself seemed pretty huge- even when crammed with a tour group of 6 couples- and there's plenty of room for me to walk around during labor.  They have a wireless monitor that will allow me to move freely and not have to lie down in order for the nurse to check the baby's heartbeat, which she'll only do about once an hour, unless there's cause for alarm.  The room has its own bathroom with a decent sized shower, a chair that turns into a bed for Mr. Geek, a nice-sized tv, and wireless internet!  (Which, the nurse informed us, is really rather slow, but still.  It's the thought that counts.)  They're willing to delay initial procedures (the vitamin K shots and eye drops) for up to an hour so we can immediately start getting to know each other and I can see if she wants to try and latch on for some comfort and a bit of colostrum.  We get about 2 hours to recover in the labor and delivery room before Chief and I are taken to the "family-centered care" wing where we'll have an (admittedly tiny) private recovery room, which also has its own bathroom and shower.  Chief will get to stay in my room for our entire stay (which will hopefully be nice and short, once she arrives) and if the pediatrician ever decides he'd rather take her to a nursery for better lighting or whatever, I can go with them.  She never has to leave my sight, so I can nurse on demand and we can spend those critical first hours bonding as a family.  Both of her grandmothers will be here for the birth, and they are allowed in both the delivery and recovery rooms, 24 hours a day (though I'm sure they'll want to go back to our house once the festivities are initially over so they can sleep in proper beds).  The hospital has a great team of lactation consultants (who our OB affectionately refers to as "The Nipple Nazis") and an entire "nursing boutique" where you can buy pumping supplies, nursing bras, and attend nursing classes with the baby.  Overall, most of my anxieties about this birth have now been assuaged- the doctors and nurses have proven they'll do everything they can to ensure a safe, natural birth, so now it's just up to me to do my part!

I think I kind of look like my mom in this shot...

Top: Kohl's (same style, different color)
Necklace: Francesca's Collections
Watch: Kohl's (same style, different color)
Jeans: Old Navy Maternity
Shoes: Converse Chuck Taylors via Off Broadway Shoes

This top was actually a new purchase and is just a "regular" top- not maternity clothing.  I realized recently that my wardrobe has a distinct lack of nursing-friendly, button-up tops, so I'm going to have to remedy that.  Mr. Geek actually picked this one out in an effort to make me buy something for myself amidst all the baby clothes as I once again fed my Kohl's habit a few weeks ago.  It's very soft, rather lightweight, and happens to be Mr. Geek's favorite color on me (as it makes my eyes look bluer). 


Moms- did you take a tour of the maternity ward before your baby arrived?  Did it help calm your nerves?  When did you start thinking about the practicality of nursing in your pre-baby clothes?

Non-moms- are you as excited about sweater weather as I am?

Much love,
The Geeks

*all photos personal*

No comments:

Post a Comment