Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Culinary Adventures: (Almost) Mom's Potato Salad

I don't share recipes very often on this here blog- probably because I haven't done much from-scratch cooking since this whole pregnancy thing started.  But back on Labor Day, I had an excuse to cook for a (small) crowd, and I decided to pull out all the stops.

When I was growing up, it seemed that my mom's go-to dish for any sort of special occasion- especially in the warmer months- was potato salad.  I've never asked her for her exact recipe, but I feel like I've seen her make it enough times that I could recreate it and put my own spin on it.  So here's my take on it!

(Almost) Mom's Potato Salad
Adapted from...my mom

-1lb red potatoes
-7 hard boiled eggs
-1 C mayonnaise
-1/4 C pickle relish
-1 Tbsp stone ground mustard
-1 bunch green onions, diced (including the green bits!) and divided


1. Chop the potatoes into 1in pieces.  Salt and pepper generously, then place in a large pot and cover with water.  Bring the water to a boil, and let it boil for 12 minutes.

2. Drain the potatoes and half-mash them.  Half-mash is a term I just made up which means "to sort of squish the potatoes so they're still mainly chunky, not smooth and creamy."  I suppose you could call that "smash."  I used a potato masher, but you may actually get better results from a fork.  Put the potatoes in the fridge and allow to cool completely.

3. When your eggs are completely cold (I put them in the fridge overnight), peel them, and mince them up with...yeah, a fork.  Basically replace all your cooking utensils with a fork.

4.  (Actually, for this one, you need a spoon.)   Mix everything together.  Well, okay use only half the green onions.  But everything else- just mix it all together until it's a delicious mess.

5. Sprinkle the top with the rest of the diced green onion.

So yeah, this isn't quite how my mom makes it, but it's definitely inspired by her recipe.  AND IT'S DELICIOUS.  Proof: Mr. Geek doesn't even like potato salad and therefore didn't have any on Labor Day but in the days after, as we were finishing leftovers, he tried some, and he loved it!  There was hardly any left for me! 

This salad is meant to be served cold, but Mr. Geek thought it was meant to be heated, so he warmed it up a bit alongside a leftover burger and he claims it's really good that way.  I'm not sure I'd heat it up myself, but if you want to stir everything while the potatoes are still warm and serve the dish warm, perhaps that'd be tasty, too?

Have you ever recreated any of your mom's recipes?  Potato salad is one of those dishes everyone seems to have a recipe for- what's in yours?

Much love,
The Geeks


No comments:

Post a Comment