Monday, March 3, 2014

Culinary Adventures: Taco Soup

Two cooking vessels get more use in my kitchen than any others- my dutch oven, and my slow cooker.  They especially get a lot of use in winter, when I make a lot of soups and stews and other one-pot-wonders.

Remember that chili recipe I shared a couple weeks ago?  This soup is pretty similar- okay, really similar.  I'm all about easy nowadays, so I'm buying in bulk and sticking with what I know works, but switching things up enough to keep it interesting.

*personal photo*
Slow-Cooker Taco Soup

-1lb ground turkey (or chicken or pork or beef or whatever)
-salt and pepper
-2 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp garlic powder
-olive oil
-2 15oz cans black beans, drained
-1 15oz can corn, drained
-1 15oz can diced tomatoes (not drained!)
-1 package frozen pearl onions (the kind with a cream sauce if you want extra creaminess)
-1 tsp red pepper flakes
-2 - 3C chicken stock (or vegetable or beef)

-Season the meat and cook it in a pan over medium heat in some olive oil.  Adjust the seasoning based on your own personal comfort level with spice.  I'm not a fan of spicy food; Mr. Geek is, but lately he's had some stomach problems and his doctor has made him swear off spicy food for a while.  I'd call the spice levels of this soup as-is "mild", so feel free to up the ante a bit.

-Put everything into your slow cooker.  As always, the amount of stock depends on how soupy you want your soup; for a thicker, stew-like consistency, go with less stock.  Remember that your tomatoes have juice in them, and if you go with the cream sauce in the frozen onions, you've got liquid there, too.  Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.

-Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and corn chips.

What's your most-used cooking vessel?  Are you making any soup during this never-ending snow?

Much love,
The Geeks

3 comments:

  1. I use my dutch oven and crockpot all the time. Here are two of my favorite crockpot recipes :)

    http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-pot-roast-slow-cooker-239829
    http://www.millermusingsblog.com/2010/09/crockpot-chicken-tortilla-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pot roast looks awesome!

      Delete
    2. It really is! So easy and delicious :) My husband and I have "crock pot" Sunday and it is a reoccurring menu item.

      Delete