Friday, March 28, 2014

Faithful Fridays: Awe and Wonder

Everything is amazing and wonderful to her.

I showed her how to make her newest toy sing the other day.  It's definitely designed just for a little one like her; just the lightest tap starts the music, and it doesn't require any finesse to get it going.  The lights started flashing and the music started playing and she froze, her eyes widening in amazement.  When it was over, she gazed up at me, her mouth forming a little 'O' as she started kicking her feet and flailing her arms before she erupted into an excited squeal.  I took that to mean, "Do it again, Mommy!" so I did it again and she offered the same excited reaction.  A few days later, she figured out the actions necessary to start the music, and she watched in amazement as her toy did this incredible thing at her command.  New sights, new sounds, and new people- all are met with her wide eyes and her big smile.

a teeny, tiny Chief staring in amazement at her own reflection above her // *personal photo*

It's easy to be jaded in a culture with such a short attention span.  "Trending topics" are short lived; by the time I get around to picking up the It shoe, it's out of style.  Nothing holds our attention for very long as we constantly search for new forms of entertainment.  Nothing seems impressive anymore.

But this world is full of signs of God's awesome love- the colors of a sunset, the sound of a bird's song, even Chief's toothless grin.  I need to remember to slow down and take a look around every now and then.  I need to unplug for a while and just appreciate the gifts I've been given.  I need to allow myself to be amazed again.

What have you learned from your infant lately?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment