Friday, March 21, 2014

Faithful Fridays: Joy

"She's always so happy!"

That's what I hear from everyone who works in the infant room at the day care center when I pick her up in the afternoons.  She receives a "report card" every day- at least, that's what Mr. Geek and I call it- that details when she was fed, when she napped, when she was changed, a brief summary of her day, and her "overall disposition."  Her "overall disposition" is always "cheerful"- and she's almost always giggling when I say hello.

She greets every day with a smile on her face.  I have to break the cardinal rule of parenting every morning- I have to wake her up when she's sleeping soundly in order to feed her and get her dressed before I leave for work.  I open the door, turn off her humidifier, and softly call her name. 

"Wake uuuuuuup," I sing as I lean over her crib.  "Wake uuuuuuuuuuuuup!"  She starts to squirm and shake her head, then finally squint her eyes open- and that's when I turn on the light.  She throws up her hands to defend against the bright light and I laugh as I lean over to scoop her up.  She blinks her bleary eyes at me- and smiles.

playing with Henry, the "horse of the sea", on Ash Wednesday // *personal photo*


I don't know about you, but if someone were to wake me up before I was ready, or turn the light on in my room while I was still asleep, I would certainly not smile at them.  I would probably grunt unintelligibly and maybe throw a pillow at them.

She could be entertaining herself, babbling at her sock monkey, and if I call her name, she'll look at me and smile so wide, like I'm the most important person in her world, and seeing me is the best part of her day.

I often find myself feeling pretty negative about things.  I could complain about anything- even things that normally make me happy- if I'm in a poor enough mood.  I need to remember how very blessed I am- to have a good job, to live in a nice house, to have plenty to eat, to have a beautiful, loving family- and show my appreciation by being content with this life.  If I smiled as often as Chief smiles, my face would probably hurt!  I'm slowly learning to live joyfully the way she does, and I've got to say- life looks better when you're smiling.

What have you learned from your infant lately?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment