Monday, August 13, 2012

Not Quite a Monogram

Alternate title: Earning Our Geek Cred

Many weddings have a "logo" of some sort, and ours will be no different.

Well, okay, a little different.

Most wedding logos are some form of monogram created with the new couple's initials:

image via Marry Monograms
image via Marry Monograms
image via Marry Monograms
Those are all nice options, but we're going in a slightly different direction.  Although we will be using our names...

I know you recognize this ring:

image via Wikimedia
When we were shopping for our rings, we talked about having them engraved with something.  Mr. Geek jokingly suggested the One Ring text, and I told him we could probably just get replicas, but we both agreed that would be a bit much, even for us.

"I bet I can find that font online, though," I said, "and we could write something else in that script."

"Like the date?" he asked.  "Or our names?"

Sure enough, I did find the right font on this website and downloaded it to mess around with.  In the end, however, we decided not to engrave anything on our bands.

When it came time to start designing our invitations, I looked at the font again, and decided we should write our names in it, to use as a logo on our paper products.  Now, I could have just typed our names in this font and been done with it, but if you know me, you know I have to do things right.

That's right- I wanted to translate our names into Elvish first, and then type those translated words in the script to create our logo.

I figured the best way to go about this would be to find our what our names mean and then find an online translator to determine the Elvish translations of those words.

Lucky for me, somebody had already done that for me!

Yup- I found an Elvish Name Translations website which lists male and female names, their meanings, and their Elvish translations (with pronunciation).  For example, my name means "beloved" and that translates to Melda in Elvish.  When I read that out loud, he thought I said "melBa."

"Like the toast?" he asked, which earned him a stuck-out tongue.  He's now taken to calling me Toast as a weird little pet name.

So, want to see our logo?

This is his first and middle names and my first and middle names, translated into Elvish:

{personal image}
This logo will be making an appearance in many places on the big day, including the invitations, the programs, the out-of-town bags, and maybe a few other places, too, but you'll have to stay tuned to find out!

So what do you think?  Pretty cool, huh?

Did you have a wedding logo?  What did it look like?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment