Friday, March 7, 2014

Faithful Fridays: Forgiveness

I'm still new at this whole motherhood business, and I'm learning as I go.  I didn't realize that I would learn so much about life from her, however- I thought I was supposed to be the one teaching her!  We're told that we should have faith like a child, so I wanted to take a moment each Friday this Lent to share some lessons I've learned from Chief that have helped me grow in my spiritual life.

She forgives so easily.

For a good month now, Chief has had a pretty constantly stuffy nose.  To relieve this, we have to use one of those bulb syringes to suck out all the snot, sometimes employing a little saline to loosen things up.  She hates having her nose suctioned- I can't really blame her, because I would, too!  She'll scream and cry and thrash about, then scream louder when we have to hold her still so we don't hurt her.

When it's over, I pick her up and hold her close, swaying back and forth and whispering apologies in her ear.  "It's okay, baby, it's okay.  I'm sorry.  I love you."

please don't be sad... // *personal photo*


By the time we've walked down the hallway, she'll have stopped crying- she may even be smiling already.  We'll get on the floor to play, and she'll giggle and smile and squeal like nothing awful ever happened.  She forgives us for putting her through that ordeal, and she doesn't hold it against us.

I'm not necessarily a grudge-holding person; if you sleight me, but sincerely apologize, I'll forgive and forget.  But I do have a tendency to pass judgement quickly, and it's nearly impossible to convince me to reverse that judgement.  Typically, my first impression of a person sticks around for as long as I know them.  A manager who can't answer any of my questions on my first day is forever seen as incompetent; a rude or slow waiter means I probably won't be coming back to that restaurant.  I could learn a thing or two from my baby girl about giving people a second chance.

Her ability to forgive, no matter how terrible the offense, is just as merciful as our Lord's forgiveness.  Acknowledge your wrongdoings, ask for forgiveness, and it's granted.  Though your sins may be much more egregious than, say, making someone ride in a car seat or put on sleeves, Jesus offers His mercy just as quickly and unconditionally as Chief does.

She forgives so easily, and in doing so, she reminds me to be less hasty to pass judgement- and also to take advantage of the sacrament of Confession as often as possible.

Have you learned anything from your infant lately?

Much love,
The Geeks

No comments:

Post a Comment